18 6 / 2012
At work I had my second shift working alone well atleast for alitle while lets name the things that went wrong first:
1. Grill wasn’t cut on by kitchen manager so my chicken was late(no biggie, we weren’t even open)
2. Got a really great lesson in making rice but then I forgot the most fundamental part -turning the damn rice cooker on. Nice one, me.
3.This kid got put on grill with me and was so absent-minded he was hindering me more than helping. At least, when I work alone I know what needs to be done. With another person on grill, I finish one thing and I’m thinking “okay…what next…why is there a flame under that skillet but nothings in there….who put these pans here…AND WHY IS A GLOVE IN THE GOD’DAMN RICE!”
Here are the things I’m not sure if they are good or bad, just thought I should mention.
1. Idk what was wrong but everyone was fussy, I haven’t been there long enough to know how people react when the place is busy but it seems the busier it is the shorter everyone’s fuse is.
2. The Apprentice wasn’t helping too much at all in the front. Just sat in the office most of the day. Actually I didn’t know the person was still there until he scared me coming out of the office. Well….I truthfully don’t know what an apprentice does so I can’t say he was doing nothing in there with absolute certainty.
Things that I think were good:
1. Kitchen Manager finally gave me a “good job”. First I earn his approval then I earn his job…Okay maybe not. Managing people there seems ridiculously annoying. But then other people were complimenting me on how well I was doing for my first/second time alone. Apparently most people do horribly when they first get on grill.
2. I realized I’m getting increasingly better at using the knife. Chicken and steak are getting cut much faster but I still have to master that cursed cilantro a.k.a devil vegetable.
And uh….I think thats it..